Friday, February 5, 2010

Rare find NYC

As you can see, I have been spending some time in NYC as of late.I wanted to turn you on to one of my rarest finds.Let me start by saying that if you have not figured it out yet... I am OBSESSED with Asian food of all kinds, as it is one of the oldest cuisines in the world and much of it is heavily based on peasant cooking and street food.Don't get me wrong....I have seen some very upscale Asian cuisine that would make even the most pretentious aristocrats jaws drop...but my passion truly is the street cuisine.Street food is world wide, and much of the history of it was/is based on feeding the blue collar workers of the world.Yes...many of today's favorite foods have made their mark in history feeding the factory worker, pipe fitters, iron workers street sweepers and so on.Anyway....back to my rare find...for more than four or five years I have searched many of the far off corners of the country and scoured many of the dark back alleys of countless Chinatown's looking for "FRESH" noodles.I got to the point that it was driving me crazy....So last year I was on an eating/R&D expedition in NYC, with my friend Philip, who I consider one of my "Grandmasters" of Asian cuisine, culture, art and philosophy..and he took me to the east end of Chinatown in NYC, where the "tourists" do not go, and brought me down into a small noodle joint that I can not even share the name with you, as the menu and their business cards are all written in Chinese.I can tell you that the address is 27 Edlrich Street.Finally.... Philip introduced me to what I was looking for for YEARS, a noodle shop that makes fresh pulled noodles.Not only did they make the pulled noodles, but they pulled each order..It was the best noodle experience I have ever had. We ordered three or four different types of pulled noodle dishes and we ordered a bunch of "peel" noodles.For those who do not know what a peel noodle is I will try to explain it as best as I can.The chef has a 2-3 pound ball of rice dough and wen you place an order, he shaves the dough into boiling water and the noodles take on a slightly chewy bite similar to a chow fun noodle crossed with a rice cake noodle.They finish the noodles with a savory broth and top it with fresh baby bock choy and a soft fried egg.The egg is the grand prize, because if you wait until you are half way through your noodles then crack the yolk it is soft and smooth and tastes great with the broth.The value in this joint is fantastic, as none of the noodle bowls are more than 5 bucks and the attention and craftsmanship that goes into each bowl is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment